Thursday 28 February 2008

Moving forward????

Today is exactly three weeks since my heart surgery, and my progress feels painfully slow - literally!! Whilst I appreciate that three weeks is no time at all following a major operation I am getting a little impatient. I still feel very fragile and every movement is an effort. Just getting myself out of bed in the morning is quite an achievement. Fortunately I am able to go for a walk every day, and this certainly lifts my spirits considerably. I don't walk alone, and am very lucky that I always have someone to accompany me. I still have quite a lot of pain, and have to continually take painkillers, which I am not very happy about, but it helps day by day.
Today I learned that there is still some concern about the recovery of my kidneys to a 'normal' function. I was contacted by the renal unit at Charing Cross hospital telling me that I must attend soon for a thorough examination. There is still the very real possibility that I may have to start dialysis quite soon if there is not a real improvement. I had hoped that I could avoid this procedure and that I could go forward to the transplant later in the year, but this may not be possible. It just seems that problem piles upon problem!! Any way I will go to the hospital next Tuesday and then we'll see just what is in store for me.
I will report further next week.