Tuesday 19 February 2008

A new beginning......

Amazingly it is now two weeks since I last posted on this blog and I have been through life-changing experiences in hospital. Before I talk about that I must thank Jonathan for his great contributions while I was indisposed - everyone has said how much they 'enjoyed' his notes (particularly the blog dated 7th February!).
So much has happened that I don't know how best to describe my ordeal. In simple terms the operation on the 7th was entirely successful and I was taken directly into intensive care. To say that I was more uncomfortable than I have ever been in my life is such an understatement, but I don't know how else to describe it. I was in tremendous pain, had tubes and needles attached to every available part of my body and simply had to 'lie back and take it'. Sadly, and as expected, my kidneys failed to resume normal service and I had to have dialysis for three days. This kept me in ICU for five days rather than the usual one or two. However I must say that the quality of the care I received was beyond any expectations. I became totally in awe of the dedication of the nursing staff, who treated me with such care and consideration throughout this time. I don't know that I would have got through it all without that fantastic care.
After five days, and with my kidneys beginning to function better I was transferred to the high dependency unit, where I stayed for a further two days. During this period I was gradually 'weaned' off the various 'attachments' to my body, and I started to recover some of my independence. This accelerated my recovery by leaps and bounds. The re-humanisation gave me confidence and I felt a true improvement.
With all tubes etc removed I was then moved to a cardiac surgical ward where I improved hugely almost minute by minute. After just two days the doctors decided that I was sufficiently recovered to return home. What a relief!!!
I came home on Saturday the 16th, just ten days after I entered hospital.
Now the full repair process begins.
I will post more progress reports as I move forward.