Thursday 1 May 2008

Sorry I've been ignoring you!!


It has been some time since I last posted an entry on the blog, and I now feel really guilty for my laziness. As I improve in health and strength, I find myself doing more 'normal' things and somehow this blog seems to be so self-indulgent that I now question its' value. However one or two of you have asked for an update, and I realise I will benefit in writing this. My recovery proceeds according to 'plan' and I am now out every day. I have started working two or three days each week, I drive and I am allowed to shop, cook etc. I still have pain in my chest, and expect this to last for at least another month before the wound in my sternum has fully healed. My leg is much improved and I can take a good long walk every day without any serious discomfort.
I'm glad to report that my kidney function is gradually improving and it now seems likely that I will be able to avoid dialysis before I am able to have my transplant. I have to attend the renal clinic once a month for monitoring, and the blood analysis is very encouraging.
And I have started a weekly rehabilitation programme at the hospital. I go through a simple cardiac check and we exercise for approximately half an hour. I feel a benefit from this programme, although some of the exercises are quite tiring.
I was fortunate enough to travel to Mallorca for a long weekend recently (photo attached) where I had a super and relaxing time. David and Julia Kreeger were so very considerate, and made the trip a huge success. Of course there was no golf, but we enjoyed some lovely sightseeing and some excellent meals.
I hope to be playing golf at the beginning of June AND I'm planning on returning to band rehearsals within the next couple of weeks. AT LAST SOME NORMALITY IN MY LIFE!!!!!!
I will contribute more to the blog over the coming weeks, and as I progress towards my transplant I will express my feelings as I approach surgery yet again.
Don't desert me now.